Thursday, March 17, 2005

 

Beat-up socially: both of us

Our Dominican housekeeper lost one of her other jobs last week to a younger, indocumented worker who would do the same job for less money. She works here only one day a week, since we don't have any children and don't need her full-time (we could afford it if all my projects gel and I could hire her as part of my own small business). The other job she lost was simply awful, I'd told her I didn't like the way it sounded and the way she was being treated -- when she came in this week, I could immediately tell, by her look and demeanor, something bad had happened. She's tenacious, and after letting me know about being fired, she returned to her normal, happier self going through her natural detergent-filled routine here. I wish her life and mine were different, better.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?